Do you ever think maybe your dyslexia is better now after all this practice

in-this-psychodrome
and then spend almost a year running a blog with a misspelled URL that is by no means a clever joke or pun you just didn’t realize you’d left out a letter because the shape overall looked alright but then suddenly you read back through your history and realize that fucking letter has been missing all that time and OH SHIT that’s why you haven’t been able to find your blog when you try to type in the url because FUCK.
I’ve looked at this blog every day for months. I’ve tried to type in the url and failed multiple times. I’ve taught myself a bunch of tricks over the years to seem like a normal person who reads normal letters like a goddamned adult and I know this isn’t my fault it’s just something wonky my brain does but fuck I feel like an idiot.
Anyway. I added the C to my url because it stands for my constant emotional state of “can’t even.”
cherrypattonista
Damn, i didnt know these struggles were part of dyslexia… I’ve always had issues like this, always googling things wrong cos the letters are the wrong way round etc…no one has ever said to me that I could be dyslexic but I’ve always wondered. I miss letters out alllll the time when I type and when I write on paper. I thought it was just a thing that I did… 😟 idk @in-this-psychodrome xxx
in-this-psychodrome
There are lots of little things that can act as clues; one of the more common ways people realize they might be dyslexic is by asking when they learned to tell time. Many dyslexics also have dyscalculia (trouble reading numbers instead of letters) and almost everyone in those two groups has trouble with numbers that go in a circle. I CAN read an analogue clock but in order to tell time I still have to count on my fingers. Another thing that’s common in dyslexics is left-right confusion - I still have to pretend I’m about to say the pledge of allegiance and flex my right arm before I can tell left from right (and trying to figure out left-right in mirrors is a lost cause). So I guess what I’m saying is that this is a very, very minor example of my dyslexia.
Lots of folks will overlook letters or transpose letters on occasion, some folks with always misspell the same word the same way, and that’s not usually indicative of dyslexia or any kind of learning issue.
I’ve failed classes because of mistakes similar to this. In high school I actually re-took a whole year-long math class and worked A LOT harder, studying up to three hours a day for one class, only to get the same failing grade at the end of the year. I’d get the answers worked out okay for the most part when showing my work but they’d get all mixed up when I’d try to write them down on the work sheet. I have had trouble at work because of accidentally mis-filing things because I don’t have an innate memory of the order of the alphabet (for instance I know that “d” comes before “z” but in order to figure out if “j” comes before “o” I have to say the whole alphabet up to “j” to make sure).
Losing letters occasionally and transposing letters (especially transposing vowels, and especially as an English speaker) is very common and nothing to worry about. I’m just super frustrated because this is the most public mistake I’ve made with my dyslexia since misspelling “litterbox” in my high school yearbook and my family still teases me about that twelve years later. (I am OLD and I am BITTER. I don’t recommend it.)
Some other symptoms:
trouble saying/pronouncing words
Examples - I said “Mass-a-two-shits” instead of “Massachusetts” until I was 27 and I STILL can’t spell that second word to save my life; I couldn’t say the word “milk” until I was 7, I said “doke” instead.
trouble retrieving words
Examples - you know people who do that “*snapsnapsnap* it’s on the tip of my tongue what is that fucking word” thing all the time, or have to do that for very common words? That’s one. Also an example: we know I’m well into Patton and stoked about Nevermen: it’s very unfortunate then that I only know Patton’s and Doseone’s names - the other gentleman has a name that’s harder for me to pronounce so I’ve just memorized the word shape instead of his name (and honestly I don’t know if Doseone is pronounced dose-one or dough-zone, both of which look valid in my brain).
difficulty processing time
Example: that friend you have who is always late, the kid who says ten minutes feels like an eternity or for whom an hour might be two minutes? These folks may just not process time well which is a for sure symptom of dyslexia.
Anyway, if you’re not sure if you’re dyslexic or not you might want to talk to a psychologist; they can frequently help you get tested. But I’ll warn you getting tested as an adult is difficult because you’ll have usually taught yourself enough tricks to not be obviously dyslexic. It’s sort of a horrid catch 22.